EWP & Access Equipment Hire Australia

United’s extensive range of reliable and well-maintained access equipment and elevated work platforms (EWP) for hire in Australia will suit all your access requirements. No matter the height or application, we have an extensive range of scissor lifts, boom lifts and telehandlers to choose from. With the added flexibility to rent for a day up to five years, you’ll receive a competitive rate and fast delivery to your site Australia-wide.

Get a Hire Quote

Solutions for all your EWP & Access Equipment hire needs

Whatever your elevated work platform and access requirements, United has an access hire solution to suit all your working at heights needs.

Hiring the right access equipment for your next project has never been easier with United. We stock a complete range of elevated work platforms that are suitable for both indoor and outdoor use. From scissor lifts and boom lifts, right through to cherry pickers and telehandlers. No matter how long your next project, United can tailor the right access equipment and EWP hire solution to meet your specific needs. This includes the flexibility to rent equipment for as long as you need. Whether it’s a day or up to 5 years, or simply by project, we guarantee the best competitive rate on your EWP hire.

With United branches conveniently located across Australia, accessing EWP equipment hire in Perth, Bunbury, Adelaide, Melbourne, Ballarat, Sydney, Brisbane, Burnie and Darwin is both convenient and hassle-free. For more information or queries about our competitive rates, contact our United team today.


Scissor lift and boom lift hire

Elevated Work Platform (EWP) Hire

Whether working indoors or outdoors, level ground or on rough terrain, we have a vertical lift, boom lift and scissor lift for hire to suit every site and lift application. Capable of reaching up to 41 metres, our range of elevated work platforms will cover all your access and height needs.

Our EWP hire range includes;

  • Electric and diesel scissor lifts
  • Tracked scissor lifts
  • Articulating boom lifts
  • Telescopic boom lifts
  • Tracked boom lifts
  • Cherry pickers & trailer mounted booms
  • Vertical masts
  • Self propelled platforms and more.

Telehandler hire

Telehandler Hire

Whether lifting heavy materials around the construction site, or moving bales and stockfeed on a farm, we have a telehandler for hire to suit your reach and lifting requirements.

Our range includes;

  • Compact telehandlers
  • High reach telehandlers

Request an EWP and Access Equipment hire quote

United Rental Equipment Specification brochure

Receive Our Complete Rental Equipment Specifications Guide

For a full list of our access equipment for hire with specifications to match your needs.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.


What is the minimum hire period for access equipment?

The minimum hire period that a scissor lift, boom lift or telehandler can be hired is one full day. We also offer flexible hire options to suit your needs, from a day, week, month or by project requirements.

Is transport included?

Yes, transport of access equipment to and from your site is included with our hire. When we provide you a rental quote, we will also provide a separate transport cost. This cost includes delivery and pickup of the equipment to your site at the specified dates requested.

How quickly can I have a access equipment delivered?

Generally, if the required access equipment is available, we can have it delivered to your business within 24 hours in the metro area. If it’s urgent, we could also possibly have it delivered that same day within the metro area if booked in the morning. Please let us know if you require the equipment urgently and we’ll do everything we can to accommodate your needs.

Normal Hours: Monday to Friday, 5am-4pm.

Please note that weekend and afterhours deliveries may incur penalties. Please speak to your local United branch for more information.

Are there any additional surcharges for transport?

Our standard transport rates apply from Monday to Friday 5am-4pm. Delivery outside of these hours may incur additional transport penalties. This includes both weekend delivery and afterhours delivery. Please speak to your local United branch for more information and to get an exact transport cost.

Do you deliver on the weekend?

If access equipment is required for use over the weekend, generally we would deliver on a Friday afternoon and then pick it up again on the following Monday morning. Delivery can still be organised on weekends if required; however, additional transport penalties may apply. Please speak to your local United for more information.

Please note that once equipment is delivered, it is the responsibility of the hirer to have it secured somewhere on site.

Do you offer Wet Hire?

No, United does not offer Wet Hire services in which an operator is provided for the management of hired access equipment. Our rental services is Dry Hire, which includes the hired equipment only. You would need to organise your own operator who has completed training and is licensed to use the specific equipment.

What if the access equipment breaks down or has a fault?

If you experience a breakdown or fault, please let us know as soon as possible by contacting your local United office on 131 607. We take this seriously and want to ensure minimal disruption to your business. United offers rental customers with responsive mobile support throughout their rental period. Should equipment breakdown, our technicians will travel to your site to repair the equipment as soon as possible. Should it be deemed that the equipment requires more extensive repair, United will organise the same or a similar hired unit to be delivered to you at no extra cost.

For all breakdowns please call 131 607.

Please note: An after-hours call out fee will apply outside of our normal operating hours, 8am-4pm, Monday to Friday.

Where can I find your Rental Terms & Conditions?

Our United Rental Terms and Conditions can be found and downloaded from our Terms and Conditions page.

What is a Rental Levy / Damage Waiver?

The Rental Levy / Damage Waiver is not insurance but is used for the purpose of covering aesthetic and incidental wear and tear, servicing, break downs and costs associated with the on-hire and off-hire of equipment. For more information please visit our terms and conditions page to read or download our Rental Levy / Damage Waiver terms and conditions.

Do I need to wear a harness when using an elevated work platform?

According to the Elevated Work Platform Association of Australia’s (EWPA) Policy on the Use of Fall Arrest Systems in Elevating Work Platforms the following applies.


All Boom type elevated work platforms must use a harness/fall arrest system


“All personnel in the platform (or basket) of a boom type MEWP must use a fall arrest system or restraint device which is secured by a lanyard to an approved anchor point provided for this purpose. Boom type MEWPs can include self-propelled booms, knuckle booms, trailer lifts, cherry pickers, truck mounted booms, MEWPs that operate with a Z type of lifting arm and telehandlers fitted with EWP baskets."


A harness is not required on a scissor lift or vertical lift, unless otherwise stated


“Fall arrest systems or restraint devices are not required on other types of MEWPs such as scissor lifts or vertical personnel lifts, unless a risk assessment indicates that they should be worn for risk control purposes, in which case the policy of boom type MEWPs will apply.”


Please note that work site rules may still require scissor lift operators to use a harness. It is best to check the Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) requirements for your site.

Can I hire a harness?

Yes, customers can hire a harness from United when renting elevated work platforms. Please speak to your local United branch for more information and to get a quote.

What license do I require to operate access equipment?

The type of license required to legally operate access equipment is dependent on the equipment being used. As a guide the following licenses and training is required for access equipment.


Scissor Lifts, Vertical Masts & Boom Lifts (boom length under 11 metres)


Requirements State
Competency / Industry-based training - Yellow Card or Statement of Attainment All States


Yellow card license


Boom Lifts (boom length over 11 metres) including truck mounted and trailer mounted


Requirements State
High Risk Work License - WP Class All States


HRW License WP Class


State License Regulators

For more detailed information on the licensing requirements in your state or territory, please visit your respective state regulators below.

State or Territory Legislation Regulator Website
ACT Work Health and Safety Act WorkSafe ACT
NSW Work Health and Safety Act WorkSafe NSW
NT Work Health and Safety Act WorkSafe NT
QLD Work Health and Safety Act WorkSafe QLD
SA Work Health and Safety Act SafeWork SA
TAS Work Health and Safety Act WorkSafe TAS
VIC Occupational Health & Safety Act WorkSafe VIC
WA Occupational Health & Safety Act WorkSafe WA


Do I need a license to operate a telehandler (telescopic handler)?

The licensing requirements for operating a telehandler varies from state to state. The requirements are dependent on the capacity of the telehandler as well as the fitted attachment. Generally, this can be broken down as follows;


Non-Slewing Telehandler less than 3 tonne rated capacity


Fitted with rotating forks, earthmoving bucket, crane jib/hook, work platform (boom length less 11 metres) or any other attachment.

Requirements State
Competency / Industry-based training - THSA Gold Card or Statement of Attainment All States


Gold Card


Non-Slewing Telehandlers over 3 Tonne rated capacity


Fitted with crane jib or hook

Requirements State
High Risk Work License - CN Class All States


HRW License CN Class


Fitted with work platform (boom length greater than 11m)

Requirements State
High Risk Work License - WP Class All States


HRW License WP Class


Fitted with fixed or rotating forks, earthmoving bucket or any other attachment except the above.

Requirements State
High Risk Work License - WP Class ACT & VIC
Competency / Industry-based training - THSA Gold Card or Statement of Attainment NSW, QLD, WA, NT, TAS, SA


HRW License WP Class Gold Card